Just as the delirious obsession for the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy began to ebb, the movie trailer broke, fanning the flames of fandom back to a fever pitch in anticipation of Valentine’s Day 2015. Millions of women all over the world are making plans with their girlfriends to go see the movie. Get ready for a pre-screening party with these simple tips.
Sometimes it isn’t the party but how you are invited. Who wouldn’t like to get an email invitation from the CEO of Grey Enterprises himself? Create a fictitious email account and use it to invite your friends. Or send out party invitations worded like a contract and see if you can get them to sign up!
You cannot go wrong with helicopter balloons. Every woman wants a ride on Charlie Tango. Create “Keep Calm” posters. Fold black napkins into ties. Or go all read and name the room “Red Room of Pain”. Decorate a closet door to look like an open elevator with the caption “What is it about elevators?” Cover the tables in clothes and accessories in varying shades of grey. Use red to emphasize certain attributes around the room. And don’t forget the “Laters Baby” sign on the back of the door so your guests can bite their lip when they see it as they leave.
Mr. Grey makes certain everyone around him eats. No party is complete without 50 Shades-themed foods. You can serve SUB-missive sandwiches and bowtie TIE ME UP pasta salad. Chocolate cupcakes with a cherry on top or vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting make sweet and sassy desserts. Decorate small cookies like elevator buttons or cut sugar cookies in the shape of a right hand. For drinks, well, Christian and Ana were never without wine nearby. Given the winter season release of the movie, a warm cup of Twinings tea will hit the spot as well. For warmer climates, let’s not forget Ana’s safe word: a popsicle will cool things off in more ways than one.
The books abound with possible trinkets to send away with your guests. Plastic handcuffs, masks, miniature riding crops, feathers, masks, handcuff key chains, blindfolds… there are no hard limits here. Let your imagination carry you.
More than one guy has said it. “What is it about this Christian Grey character that has women all hot and bothered?” It is a harder question to answer than it first appears. The easy answer is that he is hot and he is rich. That would be enough. But there is more to Grey than meets the eye – hence the fifty shades – and his real appeal is in uncovering those shades. There is immense desire in being able to pull back those layers.
- He is constantly in control. Even the strongest of women want someone to take care of them at times. The ability to not have to make a decision – about what to wear, what to eat, what to drive – relieves stress from the strong and enables the insecure.
- He projects security. Christian has all the money, the cars, Charlie Tango and let’s not forget Taylor. There is nothing he does not have, want or cannot get. No matter what a woman needs, having a man that can get it for her at his whim – or hers – makes an irresistible target.
- He has emotional issues. Let’s face it – every woman wants her love to be the salve to heal all wounds. She wants to fix him, to feel like she has given something to him to pay back what he has given her. It feeds into the maternal instinct while stirring the loins. That’s a heady combination.
- He is mysterious and charismatic. A single word in the right tone sends people scurrying to his will. A single look can have them eating out of his hand. Women love a master of manipulation.
- He is vulnerable. That might be a contradiction from his control issues but that is what makes the vulnerability so appealing. He is strong and suddenly there is a chink in his armor. Women want to fix it.
The mix of character traits and superficial details makes Christian Grey an intriguing character. He is a splendid, spinning jewel with many facets to be explored. Diamonds, after all, are a girl’s best friend.