More than one guy has said it. “What is it about this Christian Grey character that has women all hot and bothered?” It is a harder question to answer than it first appears. The easy answer is that he is hot and he is rich. That would be enough. But there is more to Grey than meets the eye – hence the fifty shades – and his real appeal is in uncovering those shades. There is immense desire in being able to pull back those layers.
- He is constantly in control. Even the strongest of women want someone to take care of them at times. The ability to not have to make a decision – about what to wear, what to eat, what to drive – relieves stress from the strong and enables the insecure.
- He projects security. Christian has all the money, the cars, Charlie Tango and let’s not forget Taylor. There is nothing he does not have, want or cannot get. No matter what a woman needs, having a man that can get it for her at his whim – or hers – makes an irresistible target.
- He has emotional issues. Let’s face it – every woman wants her love to be the salve to heal all wounds. She wants to fix him, to feel like she has given something to him to pay back what he has given her. It feeds into the maternal instinct while stirring the loins. That’s a heady combination.
- He is mysterious and charismatic. A single word in the right tone sends people scurrying to his will. A single look can have them eating out of his hand. Women love a master of manipulation.
- He is vulnerable. That might be a contradiction from his control issues but that is what makes the vulnerability so appealing. He is strong and suddenly there is a chink in his armor. Women want to fix it.
The mix of character traits and superficial details makes Christian Grey an intriguing character. He is a splendid, spinning jewel with many facets to be explored. Diamonds, after all, are a girl’s best friend.
Until his casting as the millionaire with distinctive sexual desires, Jamie Dornan was not a household name. Despite roles as the Huntsman/Sheriff Graham Humbert on Once Upon A Time, serial killer Paul Spector in the BBC series The Fall and as Axel von Forsen in Sofia Coppola’s film Marie Antoinette, Jamie managed to fly under the radar.
Which begs the question, who is the actor that will now forever be known as Christian Grey?
Jamie was born on May 1, 1982, and grew up outside Belfast, Ireland. His father is a doctor, an obstetrician that considered acting. Jamie lost his mother when he was only sixteen. He moved to London after school to train as an actor. He has also been in a band, Sons of Jim and went on tour with KT Tunstall.
In 2006, he appeared in Marie Antoinette. He had a solid modeling career going too, having modeled for Calvin Klein, Dior, Aquascutum and Armani, among others. He had other small movie roles in 2008 and 2009, leading to his 2011 role in Once Upon a Time. He moved from there to the BBC series, where he stars opposite Gillian Anderson from The X-files. The Fall has been picked up for a second season, which he will begin filming after completing his media tour responsibilities for 50 Shades of Grey.
Fun facts about Mr. Jamie Dornan, aka Christian Grey, include:
- He was involved with actress Keira Knightly from 2003 to 2005.
- He married in 2013 and he and his wife have a baby girl.
- Played rugby. Seriously, a high level of rugby. A dangerous level of rugby.
- Season ticket holder for Manchester United.
- Is a cousin, twice removed, of actress Greer Garson.
- His wife, Amelia Warner, is also an actress and a singer-songwriter.
So in real life, our Mr. Grey can model, act, take a hit and sing. Can you imagine the lullabies sang in the Dornan household in that Irish brogue? Obviously, there is more than one shade to Mr. Dornan too.
The first movie from Fifty Shades Trilogy will not be out until February 2015 but according to inside reports, Universal Studios are so convinced of box office success that they are already going ahead for the Fifty Shades sequel. Fifty Shades of Grey movie based on E.L. James best selling erotic novel of the same name wrapped shooting back in February with Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson who plays the role of Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele respectively
Since the Fifty Shades Trilogy has a huge fan following, Universal Studios sees no reason why they shouldn’t plan with the second movie based on the book “Fifty Shades Darker” seeing as fans are already begging for the trailers for the first book “Fifty Shades of Grey” which is set to hit the theaters next year on Valentine’s Day.
A site called Tracking Board has reported that the Universal Studio is “actively moving ahead” with Fifty Shades Darker, the sequel to Fifty Shades of Grey. The first movie is expected to make a lot of money with an estimated budget of $40 million. Currently more than 100 million copies of Fifty Shades Trilogy have been sold. The first book was the fastest selling paper back of all time. So, that means if 11% of the people who have bought the book go to see the movie, then it will reach the $60 million mark. The site has also reported that “Fifty Shades of Darker” is currently an open writing assignment which means they are looking for new writers. Kelly Marcel, Patrick Marber and Mark Bomber wrote the screenplay for Fifty Shades of Grey, but now it looks like Universal wants to start the sequel with fresh talents.
None of the cast has officially signed on for the sequel and director Sam Taylor-Johnson is not certain either. Michael De and Dana Brunetti will still be producing the sequel and Kristin Lowe will be back as an executive. Hopefully Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson will be back as Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele. The two leads have already gained a huge fan following among the fifty Shades fans. It would be wrong to introduce another Ana and Christian for the sequel. Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.
Finally Fifty Shades of Grey trailer has a release date and fans won’t have to wait until September. On July 9 E.L. James announced via Twitter that the fans will get the first glimpse of the sexy Christian Grey and the shy Anastasia Steele on 24th July. James tweeted “Hold on to your hats folks. You’ll get your first look at the FSoG movie trailer on July 24. I’ve had a sneak peek and WOW! #WeAimToPlease,” It’s not clear until now if the entire trailer will be released or if it’s only going to be a short preview, but still anything is better than nothing.